Tucked in a valley, at the foot of Round Mountain, among the graceful Maples & Oaks you will find our Little Brown House. Smoke billows from the chimney seven or eight months out of the year, a river rambles nearby, sheep & cows graze in the meadows and turkey's forage along the olde stone walls. Here you will find me, tucked into my cozy studio surrounded by my work. This is Vermont Harvest Folk Art.

~ I am a Punch Needle Embroidery Folk Artist, Rug Hooker and teacher, who is inspired by my love of Early American art. I have a small open studio and shop in our Vermont home, where I hosts holiday events, workshops and individual lessons.~

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

This is why......


You should never give yourself a hard time for dabbling in different mediums.  When something calls to you, don't question the why, or feel guilty because you should be doing other things, because all of it, all the little stop off's, turns & moments of trying new things, or revisiting old, feed your creativity.   I say all of this as if I am an authority on the subject, I assure you, the opposite is true.  I JUST accepted this fact.  This "knowing" concept that has taken me years to realize AND, to allow myself to do. Case in point...while I was immersing myself in the wonderful world of needle felting (oh my goodness, I SO enjoy it) a new punch needle design started to come to life~~~  Do you see that handsome turkey towering over the little house :). I love it!!  This is the moment when I finally realized, it's okay to mix things up, take time for the new, dabble in the old, let go and just "DO". :)  They ALL are creative and they ALL feed your creative soul and work together rather than separate you from one or the other.  Why did I think they did?????  Why is it so hard to just take the path and not question it. Change is scary....our heads always try to fight it!

 As a business owner, we are always making sure we are doing what's best for our business and from time to time,  the running of things hovers over the creative and creates a cloud that we need/must shake loose and let the wind blow away. The schedules, list and organization of it all, sometimes pins down our creative souls and we find ourselves in business mode rather than creative mode.  Thankfully, my creative soul is a fighter (thank you YOGA) and she makes sure the creative gets through no matter how hard I try to make it.  

What's funny is, I've no idea why I worry so about any of it.  Even though I've been dabbling in four different things, as of late, I'm still managing to keep it all in check.   All orders are going out when they should, whether it be wholesale shop orders for patterns or daily website and Etsy shop orders.  I"m creating new pn designs, dabbling in different mediums and still getting the work done. My house might be in desperate need of a good cleaning and I've a different project in literally every single room but I know it will all, eventually, get done.  It's all good :).
**Pattern coming February 14th**


Okay...as I have just noticed the blazing red sky outside the studio window, it tells me sunrise has arrived and it is time to get this house picked up & for Oliver & I to head out for our morning walk & chores.  We've a big ole snow storm headed our way this afternoon. Hopefully, it will hold off until after I'm home from the dentist & errands!!!  I'm also really hoping to make it to Yoga class this evening, so fingers crossed that still happens :).


Homemade pizza is on the menu this evening..Mark shall have to grill in the falling snow ~ I LOVE THAT!!  :)

Until next time, wishing you JOY my friends.  Doreen









6 comments:

  1. Oh Doreen, I too love doing things in different mediums. You know how I love doing needle punch since taking your on line class a few years ago. ( I sincerely thank you so much for the classes because I never thought I would be able to learn needle punch ...... I tried so many times to no aveil.) I also love wool applique and needle turn applique. Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goode morning Tina. SO lovely to hear from you my friend. I hope you are well. Thank you SO much for your LOVELY comments, they mean the world to me. I've not heard of needle turn applique...might you explain more about it.

      Hugs, doreen

      Delete
  2. I just took a wet felting class with my daughter last night- such fun and always good to get instruction from a variety of sources! A different take on things helps you find your own way of doing what you want. It was fun- I was the oldest there (oh well) I still had fun! and made some sweet hearts to bring home.
    I "get it" what you are saying and I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ellen. :) That sounds fun. I've seen a demonstration of wet felting but never tried it.

      Wishing you a lovely day, doreen

      Delete
  3. Dabble away at many things- it sure seems to work for you! Enjoy being snowed in.

    ReplyDelete